Have you ever been consumed by guilt for having been mean or rude to someone you love, more so because that person did not feel hurt? I was recently rude to my father and then overcome with a lot of sadness for the way in which I had spoken to him. I called to check with my mother as to whether he was upset and was astonished to hear that he was smiling over my childishness and was not upset at all. Should I have felt better on hearing this? I did not. I was amazed at his reaction and felt worse for my behaviour! A huge lesson
This fish pie is something that my father really liked. I’ve been inspired by Jamie Oliver’s Fish Pie recipe which is a lot healthier than most others. I’ve adapted it based on the ingredients I get here and of course as per my taste. So here goes:
1 kg fish fillets (Bhetki or Aar)
3 medium size boiled potatoes, grated
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp thyme
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons chopped sundried tomatoes
5-6 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 stalks of celery, grated
1 tablespoon of chopped celery leaves
1 carrot, grated
1 tsp chopped parsley
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp chilli flakes
Zest of one lemon
Juice of one lemon
Cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Put 1 tbsp of olive oil in a pan and immediately add the oregano, thyme, and garlic. Toss for a minute or two and then add the sun-dried tomatoes. Toss for another minute.
2. Add the fish fillets, salt, smoked paprika, and pepper. Cook for 6-7 minutes or however long it takes for the fish to cook. Once it cools, flake the fish by hand and set it aside.
3. Add the grated celery, carrot, lemon zest, lemon juice, parsely leaves, celery leaves, and chilli flakes to the fish and place this in a baking dish. You could add some cheddar at this point into the fish. I did not and it tasted fine.
4. Grate the potatoes while they are hot, whisk with with some butter or olive oil and season with salt and pepper and some dried herbs (optional). Add the layer of potatoes over the fish.
5. Grate cheddar on top as much as you like.
6. Place in a oven preheated at 200C for about 25-30 minutes. You could leave it for a bit longer for a crunchy crust.